Australia’s largest university established Monash University Publishing in 2010.
Monash University Publishing publishes books of the highest standard across the humanities and social sciences, with special interest in books that specialise in Asian studies, politics, education, communications, Australian history, Indigenous issues, culture and society.
For more than 10 years, Monash University Publishing has built a reputation as a trusted source of expert information from diverse perspectives. Our ambition is to build on this reputation; to inform, influence and inspire public discourse.
Through our platform, we seek to engage with the wider community in promoting discussion and debate on issues of high importance or enduring public concern.
Our authors challenge assumptions, provide alternatives and promote change.
Monash University Publishing will add a high level of value to the University by:
- Amplifying the impact Monash University has in the world, and representing the breadth and energy of Monash University researchers.
- Publishing work of the highest quality, ensured by rigorous peer review;
- Maximising the impact of Monash University research and scholarship;
- Fostering a broad collaboration with contributors from anywhere;
- Promoting the free exchange of knowledge.
Print versions of Monash University Publishing books are available for purchase from this site and from good retailers around the world.
Monash University Publishing books are also published in e-book format and are available for download to mobile reading devices.
Monash University Publishing’s scholarly titles are available through ‘open access’ soon after print publication, ensuring that the reach and readership of these works is maximised.
All open access titles can be accessed via Bridges, Monash University’s institutional research repository.
There is no requirement that authors published by Monash University Publishing should be part of, or have an institutional connection with, Monash University. However, Monash University Publishing also aims to:
- represent the breadth and energy of Monash University research interests.
- play a coordinating role in the production and dissemination of Monash’s scholarly publications; and
- provide a body of publishing expertise within the University.
We are currently accepting submissions, with a particular focus on the areas of sustainability and the environment, science, Indigenous affairs, politics, sociology, popular culture, economics, literature, history and biography.
We do not accept conference volumes, unrevised dissertations, plays, poetry, children’s books or genre fiction.
If you would like us to consider your work for publication, please include the following:
– a short (max. 250 words) synopsis of your work
– a short (max. 70 words) bio, including any relevant qualifications, previous publications and awards
– a sample of the manuscript, up to 3000 words.
We will acknowledge receipt, and will contact you within six weeks if we wish to discuss your proposal further.
Due to the large number of submissions we receive, we cannot provide individual editorial guidance.
Monash University Publishing is a member of the following organisations:
International Association of University Presses
Australian Publishers Association
The Small Press Network
Monash University Publishing Board Members
Professor the Honourable Marilyn Warren AC QC (Chair)
Vice-Chancellor’s Professorial Fellow
Office of the VC & President
Associate Dean (International)
Faculty of Information Technology
Group Manager, Audience Marketing
Julia Carlomagno, Publisher & Director
Greg Bain, Curator, In the National Interest series
Kate Morgan, Senior Commissioning Editor
Joanne Mullins, Senior Publishing Coordinator
Sarah Cannon, Senior Marketing Coordinator
Les Thomas, Senior Designer
Sam van der Plank, Senior Publishing Officer
Kalarni Atkinson, Administration Assistant Trainee
Contact Monash University Publishing
For media inquiries, please contact our Senior Marketing Coordinator, Sarah Cannon.
While many of our books are published online for free, this does not mean that the books are in the ‘public domain’: copyright laws do still apply.
Copyright for all material published on this site is owned or licensed exclusively to Monash University Publishing. All rights reserved. Apart from any uses permitted by Australia’s Copyright Act 1968, no part of this book may be reproduced by any process or in any form without prior written permission of the copyright owners. Inquiries should be directed to the publisher, Monash University Publishing.
Readers are free to read, copy, download, print and display a work provided that:
- this is solely for personal use or use within the reader’s organisation;
- full acknowledgement is made of the author/s and the original copyright owner;
- the work is not used for any commercial gain in any form; and
- the reader in no way alters, transforms or builds on the work outside of its use in normal academic scholarship without the express permission of the author and publisher of the publication in question.
In all cases of re-use or distribution, readers or authors must make clear to others the license terms of the work. Enquiries should be directed to Monash University Publishing.
Authors of Monash University Publishing titles are not permitted to publish these works on any website other than their personal sites, without written permission from the publisher. Authors are encouraged to post the title of their book on any website and post links on any site that direct readers to the Monash University Publishing site.
Every effort has been made to obtain copyright permissions for the images reproduced in our publications. If you are a copyright owner of materials reproduced in one of our works and have concerns regarding their use please contact Monash University Publishing.